11.01.2011

Casellula

I hardly ever see J. And by 'hardly ever', I mean about twice a year. But our outings are always happy occasions where we play catch up over really good food.

Neither of us know how to choose wine, so we opted for red, answered a few of the waiter's questions, and ignorantly agreed to a glass of his recommendation: Terra Andina Reserva, a Cabernet Sauvignon from Chile (2008). I actually loved it.

Their tapas menu isn't large, but it's still difficult to choose. We didn't even attempt the cheese menu, but cheese lovers would probably have a ball. In the end, we settled on a "medium" and two "large" dishes: Chicken Liver Paté, Meatloaf Shepherd's Pie, & BBQ Chicken Sliders. I highly recommend the paté - if you like paté, that is. It was topped with crème fraîche, with a side of fig marmalade. The fig was so refreshing against the paté, making the contrasting combination completely delectable.


I'm not a meat-eater, but the mashed potatoes completely lured me in, and I had to at least try the meatloaf. It was so soft, it really was like pie. The beer braised onions gave off somewhat of a sour taste though, that I didn't entirely love. I was most surprised that the sliders were easy to eat. They were neat, with just enough bbq flavor to make a civilized burger. Loved the jicama slaw. The only thing I was kinda upset about was the fact that there was a big ole bone in one of my sliders. That puts quite a bummer in the eating experience. ps. I attempted to try the pickled jalapenos (first bite of the meal!), but one little nibble of a slice burned my mouth until dessert.


Which brings me to...dessert! Our tummies had just enough space to share a plate of the Pumpkin Ice Cream Sandwich. Pecan Crunch. Bourbon Caramel. Cinnamon Wafers. Uh yeah, you should try this.

The place is tiny - smaller than my living room - but luckily we didn't have to wait for a table. They don't take reservations, so it's probably best to go on a random weekday, with a really small crowd.

Thanx N for the great recommendation!

Casellula
401 W 52nd St
(btwn 9th & 10th Ave)

No comments: