10.27.2011

DB Kitchen

As my birthday present to you, I'm doing something I've never done before - blogging right after! [Okay, well I tried to...but some technical error kept telling me that I couldn't upload my photos. At least I still got it up earlier than usual!]


C+M just came back from Napa so of course we let them choose the bottle for the night: Ramey, a Cabernet. Wine only falls into two categories for me - good or not so good - and this one fell in the good.


When we eat, we go all out, so of course we opened with some snacks, jars, and starters: Maple Bacon/Dates/Peanut Butter, Tomato/Eggplant/Ricotta, Ants on a Log (veal bone marrow/snails/parsley/garlic). I only tried the jar, but I hear the Ants were delish!


For my entree, I really wanted duck, but alas...there's none till Saturday. So I went with the Roast Organic Chicken. Yes, it comes with prosciutto fried egg, and yes I ate (some of) it, and yes, I thought it was really good stuff. If thrown on my plate again, I might eat the whole thing *gasp* (I did finish it for lunch the next day *doublegasp*!). It also comes with succotash, in some brown sauce which I probably could've eaten an entire plate of. But no one really cares what I eat; it's all about the meat!

M went with the braised lamb shank, a special of the day ("braised" and "confit" are magic words) ~
"...fork tender, fall off the bone delicious! The crispy kale added a nice bit of earthiness and the creamy polenta was great side to balance out the flavor of the lamb. Terrific heated up the day after too!"
C tried the Pork Chop ~
"Topped with bacon...makes everything better. This was no different. Thick cut and sweet. Perfect partner for the pork chop. The mango added a nice touch of sweetness and the onion ring was a nice crispy complement."
L went for the Short Rib and Cavatelli ~
"...delicious on a cold night! stick to your ribs good and very heavy, so good enough for 2 meals. the dollop of truffle butter they put on top smelled amazing and added a decadent creaminess to the dish."
E tried the Lamb Cross-Bone ~
"...medium rare was good (well done - not good!), toasted barley was better and was creamy like a risotto. Overall, maybe get the lamb shank next time." ps. beware the tasteless lamb bacon if that was your initial draw to this dish.



As if that wasn't enough food, we ordered sides also. Apparently, you can order 3 for $18 or 1 for $7, so despite knowing that's not a real deal, our hungry eyes were swayed. Smoked Beef Fat & Jalapeno French Fries, Wild Mushrooms, and Basil Whipped Potatoes. Those were some heavenly wild mushrooms.


Meals are never complete without dessert! Monkey Bread, Crazy Good Coconut Cake. I wouldn't say the coconut cake was crazy good, but the mango sorbet that came with it definitely was. They were both a really good complement to the pure sweetness of the monkey bread. After watching the dessert preparation for another table, I knew this had to be video'd come our turn.



Thanks to my lovelies, C,E,L,M for a wonderful birthday dinner! :)


David Burke Kitchen
23 Grand Street
(at 6th Ave)

No comments: