11.06.2010

Joe's Shanghai

Wow. What a tourist trap.

Enter Pell Street. See the mob in front of the green awning. This is it.
Grab a number and wait. And wait. And wait some more...till you notice your fingers are still connected only because you're wearing gloves. Leave to get bubble tea. Wait there. Leave bubble tea place with bubble tea in hand. And wait some more. About 23,189 hours later, sit at table...alongside random strangers.

Over hyped? Hell, yeah. The first time I had soup dumplings was in China, and it was amazing there. The bamboo steamers piled high to the ceiling. The waiters carrying the piles around with hands tied behind back. What's not to be in awe about? It's soup inside a dumpling. But unlike many a friend here, I just can't bring myself to crave soup dumplings from Joe's.

Maybe I'm just jaded. Or maybe it's because I'm bitter I almost lost my fingers and toes...
I hear the Queens location is exponentially better... I guess I don't give up easily.


Joe's Shanghai

9 Pell Street
nr Bowery
(other locations available)

No comments: