8.05.2011

Mini-cupcake war

Our whole office may be dieting, but somewhere in the rulebook, there's an exemption clause for birthday celebrations - especially when they come with cupcakes. But hey, we they don't want to cancel out all that yummy salad we've they've been living off of for the past month, so we compromised and went mini.

We had two birthdays to celebrate within a two week span: MJ & IG's. Our initial plans to try some more cupcakecrew flavors were spoiled by the fact that they weren't accessible on MJ's bday. Boo. But that meant we could finally try Baked by Melissa.


If you're looking for mini, this is as mini as you're going to get, short of eating air. Their cupcakes are quarter size (as in, the size of a quarter), which is great when you want to try out several flavors (or have a room full of dieters who you're celebrating a birthday with), but quite unfulfilling if you've got a sweet tooth.

I personally only tried their special flavor of the month - the firecracker - and I'd have to say it was a party in my mouth! Literally. A fun & unique cupcake to say the least. I'll take it that lack of comments about the other flavors (mint choc chip, cookies & cream, pb & j, red velvet, choc chip pancake, and s'mores) meant they were all good, but nothing to call home about. Either that, or someone wanted to hog all the extras for herself. Would I eat them again? Yeah, probably. But I wouldn't go out of my way to pick some up. Say...like I would for Cupcake Crew.


We were lucky Cupcake Crew was in our neck of the woods for IG's bday, and didn't hesitate to pick some up for... breakfast (what's even better is that we got 6 free since M told them I followed them on twitter!). What'd I try this time? "Cousin Vinny" - a mix of vanilla chocolate chip cake, filled with canoli cream rolled in a fried canoli shell. If that doesn't sound good, then I'm not even sure why you're bothering to read this post. Other flavors in the pickings? Trusty old red velvet, coconut raspberry, chocolate caramel pretzel, vanilla peach, and strawberry balsamic...the latter which I heard tasted kinda gross.


And the conclusion is...? There's always one cupcake in the tray that's going to topple over.


Baked by Melissa
526 7th Ave
(btwn 38 & 39th)

Cupcake Crew
varying locations
but this batch was bought from the corner of 40th & 6th

No comments: